When I worked for Bubba Gump Shrimp, my primary job was to stay on message.
I stayed in character and promoted the best interests of my employer at all times.
Here were the main components of that message:
- Forrest Gump – be the character
- Shrimp – promote the food
- Fun – create an experience
- More fun – create more fun
Here are three ideas you can use to help you stay on message.
- Be crystal clear on your message (see above for my message).
- Be the messenger. Or in my case, the character. Fortunately, I had a ton of leeway in interpreting the character. For me, 90% of being the character was me being me – while 10% was imitating the character as originally interpreted by Tom Hanks.
- Don’t pull back the curtain. The Wizard was toast once the curtain got pulled back. But with the curtain in tack, people were always left wondering. Wanting more.
Are you staying on message and leaving the people you serve wanting more?