Positive thinking is a good thing.
But positive thinking by itself isn’t enough.
Positive thinking alone does not work. In fact, positive thinking alone can be detrimental.
- Thinking positively combined with knowing that your goal will be difficult is realistic.
- Thinking positively with the belief that the task ahead won’t come easy is realistic.
- Thinking positively while understanding that roadblocks will pop up on your journey is realistic.
It occurs to me that positive thinking – without accepting reality – falls short for these reasons:
- When the inevitable setback occurs, you don’t have a fallback position. You didn’t plan for and create a Plan B.
- When you only think positively without looking at a situation realistically, you tend to relax. You don’t take extra actions. You turn over responsibility to others or fate.
Principle #2 of Gumption is Moxie … 100% personal responsibility for your actions.
Positive thinking without moxie isn’t enough.
It takes Gumption to be a realistic, positive thinker.