Here are three things I’ve discovered about myself from writing during the past year.
- Writing gets easier. At the beginning, it was a chore. I had to force myself. I still force myself, but it’s now mostly fun. Writing gets easier!
- Short and sweet. The pattern of my writing the last year has trended toward shorter posts. A single topic. A single idea. Less attempting to explain details … more focus on principles. Short and sweet!
- It’s a journey. Just as Forrest Gump’s journey has become an important part of my message, my evolution as a blogger and speaker is a journey. Writing helps me flesh out my message. Writing helps me decide what is most important, both as a person and as a writer/speaker. I’ve been given the opportunity to figure it out for myself … while still being a work in progress.
Want to see eleven of my favorite blogs this past year?
Here in chronological order of their posting are eleven of my favorite (or significant) blogs I’ve written this past year. I’ve also included a brief explanation of why they are important to me.
- Why Coming to a Complete Stop is Sometimes Necessary (Blog #201): The recognition that I needed a reset. I wasn’t seeing the forest through the trees.
- Function with Gumption New Logo Debut (Blog #212): The graphic that singularly represents my message. It’s a lot of work to make something really simple. Thanks, KJ!
- Being Gump-like (Part 1) – Integrity (Blog #215): The first of eleven published parts on being gump-like … My guess is this series is not yet complete and will be continued … and refined.
- Life Chapters (Blog #231): The idea of life chapters and a life journey is introduced. Excelling and being fully present in one life chapter will always lead us directly to our next life chapter.
- Cerebrate – Five Things I Learned (Blog #234): The public expression of two critical life lessons I learned from my parents. One from Mom. One from Dad. These two lessons are foundational to the man I am today … and to the concept of Gumption.
- I’m An Impersonator (Blog #236): The first step toward figuring out my future Gump/Steve persona. I didn’t get it correct in this post, but I let the cat out of the bag.
- You’re Gonna Have to Figure That Out for Yourself (Blog #258): This line from the movie (and video clip) has become the punchline, summary, and conclusion for my presentations. We all want to know what our destiny is … We all have to figure it out for ourselves.
- Intellectual Honesty vs. Advocacy (Blog #263): The acknowledgement that I must advocate only for that which passes my test for being intellectually honest. I want our politicians to do less advocating and more thoughtful thinking and explaining.
- Balancing Steve and Forrest (Blog #274): Continuing from what I started in Blog #236, I got it right this time. I’m not an impersonator … I’m a former impersonator.
- Let’s Get Real-Real (Blog #278): This is the intellectual justification for what was emotionally argued in Blog #274. Thanks, Joe and Jim, for providing me with my experiential foundation!
- The Feather’s Three Concepts (Blog #295): The feather is the start of my program, just as the feather was the beginning of the movie Forrest Gump. It represents the randomness of life, the millions of possibilities, and the opportunities that you decide to pick up and take advantage of.
Thank you, readers, for continuing to ride along with me on my journey … See you at 400! And twice a week (or so) between now and then.
Next Blog Title: Gone Fishing
Next Blog Date: October 15, 2012